NZ2382 at Ferrymead Historical Park, Christchurch, New Zealand

 

April 2002

NZ2382/HR339 wing. Note HR339 coding on wing surface NZ2382/HR339 wing. Note HR339 coding on wing surface. Image courtesy of Val Dawson. Note: To view a large (1775x1189, 358kb) version of this image, click here.
NZ2382/HR339 wing
NZ2382/HR339 wing. Image courtesy of Val Dawson. Note: To view a large (1186x1775, 361kb) version of this image, click here.
NZ2382/HR339 wing. Note HR339 coding on wing surface NZ2382/HR339 wing. Note HR339 coding on wing surface. Image courtesy of Val Dawson. Note: To view a large (1775x1187, 313kb) version of this image, click here.
NZ2382/HR339 rear fuselage NZ2382/HR339 rear fuselage. Image courtesy of Val Dawson. Note: To view a large (1775x1187, 297kb) version of this image, click here.
NZ2382/HR339 and NZ2328 rear fuselages NZ2382/HR339 and NZ2328 rear fuselages. Image courtesy of Val Dawson. Note: To view a large (1775x1187, 229kb) version of this image, click here.
NZ2382/HR339 rear fuselage NZ2382/HR339 rear fuselage. Image courtesy of Val Dawson. Note: To view a large (1775x1185, 290kb) version of this image, click here.
 

February 2000

NZ2382 fuselage rear, February 2000 NZ2382 fuselage, February 2000. Image courtesy of Mark Wade. Note: To view a large (1349x905, 234kb) version of this image, click here.

 

HR339/NZ2382 History

Built by Standard Motors at Coventry, FB.VI HR339 served with No. 487 (New Zealand) Squadron at Thorney Island, joining them on 23rd November 1944. The aircraft undoubtedly took part in many of the squadron's intruder sorties over Europe, but was eventually put into store and allocated to New Zealand. HR339 departed from Pershore for the long ferry flight to its new home on 16th October 1947.

Following its arrival, HR339 was allotted its new serial number of NZ2382 and was delivered to Wigram. There is no record of NZ2382's service with the RNZAF, though possibly it was damaged as it became an instructional airframe.

In 1952 Bruce Goodwin, of Pigeon bay near Christchurch, bought NZ2382 as surplus from RNZAF at Wigram and after dismantling the aircraft, moved it to his home. The forward fuselage was given to his neighbours for the children to play in, the wings were stored outside under trees, with the remainder of the aircraft being carefully stored in a shed.

Here the remains stayed until 1970 when they were rediscovered by Philip and David Ferguson, both members of the local aviation historical society. An agreement was arrived at, with Bruce saying that they could have the remains, providing they went to a good home. The aviation society didn't want anything to do with the physical side of preservation, so some of the members got together and formed the Ferrymead Aeronautical Society.

The members of the Ferrymead Aeronautical Society are undertaking a long term composite restoration project with NZ2328 forming the basis of the restoration, with many parts coming from FB.VI HR339/NZ2382.

Notes: It appears that HR339 may well have served 16 Squadron as well as 487 Squadron - can anyone confirm this?